The hall is enclosed by both a moat and surviving earthworks, which are considered to be of Norman origin. During the medieval and early modern periods, the Hall was maintained by the successful de Southchurch family until 1343, when the Hall passed to William Dersham on account of there being no male heir to the de Southchurch line. Dersham subsequently let the hall to John of Prittlewell, a London Spice Merchant, and the property was to go through several different ownerships and was for a time sub-dived into two tenements before being reunited as a farmhouse, to become known as Wittins Farm in the 19th Century.
There is a cross-wing situated at the end of the Great Hall, which incorporates both the North and South Solars. Solars are traditionally the private rooms for the Lord of the manor and his family to reside in. At Southchurch, they have been designed to reflect the changing fashions associated with this private residences and the South Solar is a later 16th or 17th Century extension to the Hall. The later Tudor extension is located to the Hall’s south end whist the much more modern 1930’s extension is to the East.
The main hall which survives today can be dated in terms of its construction to the period c.1321-1364. The Great Hall is currently presented in its 14th Century form for visitors to the Hall, a feature of which “is a decorative arch and original tie beam (or cross beam) with crown post (the vertical timber standing centrally on the tie beam).” (Southend Museums, 2011). During the later 16th Century, an upper floor was added to the main hall along with internal sub-divisions with surviving evidence for a fireplace that was once situated between the two upper rooms.
What is now presented as a 16th Century kitchen area was originally designed as a service and store area sub-divided into two separate rooms with the kitchen originally being located in an adjoining building as a means to reduce the risk of fire in medieval buildings. The area was converted into a kitchen during the 16th century with the addition of the chimney and fireplace, with the original kitchen building now lost.
The two Solar rooms are designed to represent the different approaches to the Hall’s design over the course of its lifetime. The Solars are designed to reflect how the rooms may have looked during the late 16th and early 17th centuries, encompassing the “reigns of Queen Elizabeth I (Tudor) and King James I (Stuart).” (Southend Museums, 2011). The North Solar is designed to reflect an early 17th Century dining room, whilst the South Solar, “a late 16th to early 17th century extension” (Southend Museums, 2011) is designed to reflect a parlour room of this period. As you venture upstairs from the Solars you will be greeted by the Victorian bedrooms, designed to create how the bedroom might have looked during the ownership of the Kilworth family, who owned the property during this period.
Southchurch Hall moated site is listed by Historic England as a Scheduled Monument (list entry number: 1017385), initially added to the schedule list on 1 February, 1976. The listing at present relates to the surviving moated site and earthworks and not directly to the surviving Hall itself. Archaeological evidence hints at the existence at points through history of additional buildings having existed n this location in addition to the current Hall structure, “excavations have demonstrated the presence of well-preserved buried foundations on the island … [and] … [f]urther archaeological evidence is also considered to survive in the form of buried features beyond the island.” (Historic England, n.d.). Fishponds to the west of the surviving moat still survive which presents compelling status for the wealth and social standing of the Hall’s occupants, and were at the height of their popularity in the 12th Century for their ability to provide an established source of sustainable fishing and food supplies. There is also evidence to suggest that both formal gardens and an orchard once existed on this site too.