Eastside Community Heritage Archive
During 1999 Eastside were able to start collecting materials for their oral history and copy visual collection which was subsequently entitled the East London People’s Archive. The Archive now contains numerous oral histories and reproductions of photographs taken from the many projects undertaken to date. Since its inception, Eastside has been involved with a number of community projects relating to the recording and promotion of local history both in East London and the surrounding boroughs of the Thames Gateway region. ECH have also developed an extensive and informative website entitled Hidden Histories and this can be views online by following this link:- www.hidden-histories.org
British Olympic Association Archive
The University of East London was chosen to host the historical archive and book collection of the BOA in the run up to the 2012 London Olympic Games. Containing material relating to the history and work of the Association from 1906-2009, it notably includes records concerning the organization of the 1908 and 1948 London Olympic Games. The collection is open to researchers, however some sections are still undergoing cataloguing. Access is by appointment only, please contact the Archives for further information.
Hackney Empire Theatre Archive
The first accession of the Hackney Empire collection arrived at UEL during the spring of 2007. Deposited by Roland Muldoon, who had been artistic director of the Theatre, the collection contains a broad range of materials relating to Muldoon’s creative career including posters, programmes, audio-visual materials and other ephemera relating to Hackney Empire after its rebirth in 1986. The collection is presently undergoing cataloguing but some parts of it may be accessible. Please contact the Archives for further information.
In addition, we maintain the East London Theatre Archive and the Online Theatre Histories Archive digital archive portals. These are available online at www.elta-project.org/home.html and at www.otha.org.uk respectively.
UEL Institutional Archives
A relatively small institutional archive survives for the University of East London, and its predecessor institutions, although sadly much of the material appears now to be lost.
There is evidence of surviving material in relation to:
- The University of East London (1992-2010).
- Girls’ Commercial Secondary School, Walthamstow (1923-1937).
- North East London Polytechnic / Polytechnic of East London (1968-1992).
- South East Essex Technical College / South East Essex Technical College and School of Art / Barking Regional College of Technology (1936-1970).
- South West Essex Technical College / South West Essex Technical College and School of Art (1938-1970).
- Municipal Technical Institute / West Ham Technical College / West Ham College of Technology (1898-1970).
- Walthamstow School of Art (1902-1908).
- Walthamstow Technical Institute / Walthamstow Technical College (1920-1938).